August 7, 2008

Riesling anyone?

Progress has been made. I have done a bit of research, laid my hands on an E.C. Kraus catalog and took the plunge to buy a winemaking kit. Johannisberg Riesling is it. I've had the supplies for about a week now, but time has not been widely available around the house due to the twins and the husband's long hours. I was excited to get it started on my day off yesterday, only to discover that I did not have enough bottled water and I wasn't going to drive 40 miles just for more water (just to note - you don't drink the water in these parts - unless you like sitting on the toilet). I suppose I could have used the remaining 5 gallon jug of water for wine-making and Kevin and I could have drank beer to quench our thirst. Hmmm...why didn't I think of that last night. My wine could have been happily fermenting today.

Perhaps Sunday will be the day.

I also need to make some decisions on what type of vines I shall plant and where they will be planted. I am so good at procrastination, but the dream is not dying.

Anybody know how to navigate winery laws? Perhaps there are so few in Montana because the regulations are so cryptic.

No comments: